Habits of mind



I have been attending an amazing workshop conducted by geniekids which has helped realize myself and also think differently . I felt like posting this as i was thinking of Habits of mind. HOM -Habits of mind according to me is what values i feel is important and how i behave according to it .I was also thinking as to how can i help my child experience these Habits of mind .


Five most important HOM according to me
1. Dreamer
2. having self esteem
3. Honest
4. Hard worker

1. I am a dreamer .The reason i think dreaming is an important HOM is While we dream big we always strive to achieve them. We are more organized .We set goals and achieve them .While each goal is achieved there is always a sense of satisfaction .I believe that we must not float like a feather when we can fly like a falcon .So hold fast to dreams for if dreams die life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly .

2.Self esteem: What i learnt in ttt was its all about how i see myself .How i think others see me as and how i would like others to see me .I have read a story of Mc Kay who was a coach of a foot ball team .He was asked to comment on the pride he must have felt over his son's achievemnt .He said 'Yes i am pleased that jhon had a good season last year He has done a good job .But i would be just proud if he had never played the game at all..
Definitely his son would never lose his self respect if he ever lose next year .Its all about building a value safe environment to build one's self esteem.

3.Hard work
I strongly believe in this statement made by JIM Rohn
Work harder on yourself than you do at your job.When you work at your job you make a living .When you work on yourself you make a fortune.I constantly work hard t get rid of my negatives and i think it is better to do this to get better day by day .

4.Honest :Honesty means integrity in everything .Honesty means wholeness and completeness .It means truth in everything deed and word.

5.open mindedness :
I believe in keeping an open mind .As we have already learnt in ttt that an empty mind can absorb new ideas and thoughts. If our minds are open we are enriched most of all we are teachable that makes you grow, learn and excell.

These are the ways i thought to give experiences for Gargi which i think is the most important Habit of mind .

Dreamer
I can ask her about what she dreamnt yesterday night .Just to create an awareness.
Develop Imagination ; My nephew was asking me a few days back as to Why can't there be a wire that connect our dreams to a TV so that we can watch them next day .I was amazed by his awesome imagination.
Later i can ask her to list what all she can dream of .
Set small goals and ask her to reach them

honest
Asking her to tell the truth
Giving her a feeling that there is no harm in telling the truth
When She tells a lie try analyze the situation and acknowledge her feeling
Tell her stories on honesty .
Introducing the term honesty

Self esteem
Set value based environment
Giving her a feeling that you love her for what she is
Granting her a status of an adult
Exposing her to compensatory skills early in life
praying together
Disciplining without damaging her self esteem

open minded
Ask her to verbalize her feeling
Constant and open communication with her
TO establish a hotline between me and my child
Allowing her to tell her ideas and beliefs
Being a good listener

Hard work
Telling success stories and asking her read autobiography
Giving her a strong feeling that hard work is always rewarded.
Give her tasks and when she completes rewarding her accordingly
Asking her to complete one task and then take another

I am trying to think of more ways .Give me your ideas and feedback .

Comments

Interesting to see your take on HOM. My Question to you - why have a list of HOMs that you want to develop in your child? Shouldn't the list be decided by the child as the child grows up - to use whichever she wants, where and whenever she wants?
So the questions would be - what do we develop - an awareness ... of self .. maybe?
Nandashree said…
True...i want to develop that awareness.

Popular posts from this blog

My first trek to kodachadri

Classic coorg

Short stories from our vacation to New Zealand date : 12th April 2017 - 29th April 2017