Mark Twain – a remembrance

This weekend I watched a movie ‘little women ‘. Long back in my high school days I had read this novel ‘little women’ written by Louisa May Alcott.The story is about the four sisters who learn the hard lessons of poverty and of growing up in New England .The movie kept me captured till the end because the place where the whole movie is made seemed so familiar to me. Especially the March sisters’ house reminded me of ‘The Mark Twain house ‘which we visited two years ago in the month of July at Hartford, Connecticut. Connecticut is one of the New England states of USA. Some how I felt like writing about this incredible place and my experience here.

Each time we [GNG] visited the mall at Connecticut Gargi loved playing in one particular area. This play area had something special in it .The adventures of Huckle berry Finn came alive here. In one of the corners there was a small note that this area is dedicated to Mark Twain the most beloved writers of all times who offered a unique window into American life. Every time i read this I always wanted to visit The Mark Twain house. Thanks to my hubby that one Saturday we decided to visit the house.





We reached there past noon .I was eager to visit the house where admission inside was only by a guided tour. As we stepped in there was a museum center where we listened to the biography of Mark Twain, which was totally new experience to me. There were so many pictures of Mark Twain and his family hung on the wall .We were later guided into Mark Twain home, the house where modern American literature was born .It was a nineteen room wooden mansion where Mark Twain lived from 1874-1891.As we entered the sitting room we saw well decorated sofas, candle stands and huge portraits hung on the wall. As we climbed the stairway it lead us into an awesomely long dining table with many chairs beautifully carved. This opened into a small balcony where there was a small garden and a fountain .We then entered Twain daughters reading room .The guide told us that he had arranged for a tutor who would come home and teach .The sizes of the reading table and chair matched the ages of the little girls .The small chair needs mention here as it was so cute with a lovely doll sitting on it. The bed of mark was carved with angels. Twain’s wife was a very good home maker who loved knitting sweater sitting on her easy chair .We also saw a newly restored kitchen wing and a spacious billiard room where he spent most of his time writing and discussing with his closest buddies.

We later watched a documentary based on his life and achievement. After this I was in all praise for this author who gave birth to immortal characters like Tom and Huck and long remembered as a person who penned America’s greatest classics .As we were about to step out of his house beside one of his portrait was written ‘One of my high ideals is to remain indestructible in a perishable world’- Mark Twain

Comments

Me said…
WOW!!! I should say you write with your heart in your pen ;)... very nice... i specifically love the way you ended it... profound thought..
Nandashree said…
i never thought i could write something .thanx for your encouragement
minnki said…
Nanda...nicely written...I too liked the ending... :-)actually I love Mark Twain's qoutes....they are very witty and thoughful!
Gautham said…
I know I missed the fun as Gargi was cranky that day! However your article is close to what I can get in terms of getting a closer view. The last quote is what makes blog special!

Popular posts from this blog

My first trek to kodachadri

Classic coorg

Short stories from our vacation to New Zealand date : 12th April 2017 - 29th April 2017